October 7, 2008

Vandalism - A Crime?

As dictated by Faranza Syns

She stood staring at the wall. Indeed, the wall seemed to fascinate her. And she fascinated me.

I watched in silence at the stock-still figure just a few aching metres away from me.

How could one stand so still and stare at a wall-- a blank, cold, unfeeling (not to mention glaringly white) wall-- for a long, long time?

With an imperceptive move, she lifted her hand. Dainty, regal fingers gently traced a shape on the wall. It was small, and the movement nearly had me in a trance.

My eyes widened with confusion at the welling feelings inside my chest. What did this girl do to me? I can't be that far gone.

Should I say hi? Of course I should. I opened my mouth. Nothing came out. Typical of my brain to not allow me to do things that I know for sure should be done.

I stared unwaveringly at the girl who continued to do things that people generally never did. Weird? Yes, other people would term her as weird. Who in their right mind would stare at a wall? Then trace shapes on it? Then stare at it some more as if it the secrets of the universe was scrawled on it?

Basically, very few people and they usually end up at places I don't even want to think about.

She traced the unseen shape on the wall over and over again. Then, she stopped, stood back, and smiled.

That was when I realised it.

I was suddenly breathless with the realization. Neither could I help the smile that broke out.

"Hey," I called out, thumbs hooked in my pockets, a grin that felt dopey lightening my face. Heck, I couldn't care less if I looked as sappy as last week's oatmeal.

She spun around, and saw me.

She smiled.

"Hey," she greeted me. Almost as slowly as how she traced the shape on the wall, her hands extended towards me. "I've been waiting for a while, you know." The joy in her expression and the smile with which she welcomed me nearly threw me off-track. Her joy gave me joy.

I couldn't help the grin that seemed to tug continuously at my lips. "Sorry I took so long. Some idiot stopped me from reaching you fast." Yeah, my idiotic thoughts.

She gripped my hand and laughed.

And then I thought, even if she is weird, that doesn't mean I can't love her.

When she smiled I saw something that made my heart swell.

As she dragged me away from the scene, I reconfirmed what I saw.

And yes, what I saw was the shape of a heart.

The shape of a heart that I drew on the wall, the first day she caught me.

Literally.

Vandalism is a crime, she had said. But truly, what I drew was small and insignificant. But still she remembered. And despite her beliefs, she still came here and cherished my small sign of rebellion.

For, in fact, I actually drew a broken heart.

But as she dragged me pass, I saw that the line that was supposed to run down the middle had faded.

She isn't weird.

She's just the girl I love.

_________________________________________

Arrrgh, the story's friggin' awkward. I got the feel in the beginning, and the plot had me running for my own money, but somehow, I had stopped, and lost the feel. Lost the moment! Garrrh!

Anyways, tell me how that was.

p/s: Inspired by Laine. She wrote things in her blog that had my juices running. (NO PUN INTENDED).

0 comments: