January 23, 2009

Obeisance

As dictated by Faranza Syns

I'll tell you what I didn't do today.


I didn't:

  • lie to Pn Normah that I lost my Maths book just because I didn't do my Maths homework
  • go for my prefectorial duty
  • skip Biology class
  • change to my Shirtliff uniform until 10 minutes before practice
  • buy nasi lemak for lunch, but opted for starvation instead
  • sing Haru-haru more than ten twenty times today
  • get mad, bad heart palpitations from the exertion of running.


Now I'll tell you what I did.


I :

  • kept quiet during Maths, looking at Amanda's graph book
  • went to the 2nd floor and rounded. (not my duty, but what the heck)
  • smiled for the whole day, except for during Biology class
  • attended debate tryouts. I bloody suck. Miss Nur thought I was faking it all because I don't want to debate this year.

Miss Nur: Farhana, you did that intentionally. You're making it worse for yourself.
Me: No! That was bona fide (I actually used the word. wow) fear!


  • bought RM7 worth of sweetmeats and kuih. Fun, fun.
  • I ran when I was told to for Shirtliff practice. And I'm proud to say that I was pretty good. Faster than some people even. Yay! Old me is back!

Actually, I was pretty reluctant to run. Ah well, it happens.

So, I asked Laine--

Me: Must I run?
Laine: ... I kinda expected you to.


Ouch. But I needed that kick in the ass. Haha, no offense and no sarcasm: thank you, Laine. Ooh, you're my new sounding board!

  • Saw E Von. Sorry if my welcome was merely lukewarm with no stalwart, crushing hugs. Your appearance (and beauty, gahaha) had me stunned for the few moments we were speaking.


Yeah well. Basically that sums it all up.


________________________



During debate tryouts, Miss Nur told us all to sit in a group and discuss about the topics that she might use as questions.

And so, we sat in a circle. And crapped like mad.

Kim: You see, that's the best part about debating; you get to crap like hell.
Pave: We aren't debaters; we're crappers.
Dharr: The key to it all is crapping.


Then, a few other contestants came to the room. We made space for them. I was being really high (a normal reaction when I'm scared) and patted the floor beside me, asking the juniors to sit. "Come, come, sit!" I smiled. And they sat, smiling shyly.

Someone said, "I don't know why but people like to sit beside Farhana."

Kim: I dunno la. Farhana always has this sort of smile that's so...
Dharr: Yeah, yeah!
Pave: So sweet.


Seriously, I was just being high.

And so, when everyone has settled down, we finally decided to introduce ourselves.

"Let's start with Farhana!"
"Oi! Why me?"

Pave: Because Farhana's always the First Speaker.


Oi, what kind of logic is that?



Miss Nur: So are all of you ready?


The seniors and ex-debaters of the team shouted "NO!" whilst the newbies were being demurely quiet.

Miss Nur: What? I know Kim likes crapping, la, but all of you...
Kim: That's why I'm in the debate team, teacher.



Maybe, when Miss Nur asked us "What do you know about debate?", I should've formed a half-arsed answer.


Miss Nur: What do you know of debate?

Me: It's a place and time where you get to crap to your heart's content, and not be scared that your teacher will horse-whip you, because crap in debate is edible crap.



Smart, eh? Wonder why I didn't think of that.


The day before, I practically begged Miss Nur to NOT put me on the debate team.

Me: Ms Nur, may I just help this year, instead of debate?
Ms Nur: *looks up thoughtfully* basically, debating is helping out your team, so if you debate, you'll be helping
Me: Teacher, don't twist it like that, la!

Me: I'm not brave! I'll... wilt *motions wilting with hands*
Ms. Nur: And yet here you are, speaking to me and you have NOT wilted.


It's pretty damning to know that you were chosen to be a part of something just because of your race. Haha.

Me: Can't I just train the other Malay candidates?
Ms Nur: There are not many. And the ones who have signed up didn't show much promise.
Me: How about the candidates last year? So and so?
Ms Nur: At first they were alright; people told me that they can speak but after a while, they.... *motions with hand* wilted away...
Me: hahaha!
Ms Nur: Haha. Your words, not mine.



Ooh, it's so bloody fun being chummy with Ms Nur. She's strict, but she's real sweet, too.

But Ms. Nur, I don't wanna debate!

And yet, I came for the bloody tryouts. Dang it all. I just don't want to be on Miss Nur's bad side. *Sigh*. I guess I'll just have to be a lalang again.



A picturesque view; obeisance.

0 comments: