December 22, 2008

Punk-Core.

As dictated by Faranza Syns

Pangkor. Punk-Core. What's the bloody difference? Someone from Pangkor should start a band named Punk-Core. The irony will leave us dying from laughter.

Anyways, we went to Pangkor the other day. It was a huge family holiday, organised by my Aunt Siti. ;p She likes to organise these stuff. She's one fierce lioness, but she does like making people laugh. Okay, on with the day.


Friday: (Day 1)

Slept at 3 a.m. Woke up at 7 a.m. Yes, only four hours of sleep. Very daring, considering we had a long travel ahead. But then again, I'm not anything if not stupid. So I slept late. We were supposed to set off at 7.30 to my Aunt's (Mak Ngah) house. So, imagine the rush.

Me: Jaz, you bathe first.
Jaz: You first.
Me: Just go bathe.
Jaz: Why? You go first.


Dad: BILIK AIR KOSONG! MANDI!


My sister skittered out and got into the bathroom. I won the minor skirmish. Or so I thought.

Dad: BILIK AIR BAWAH KOSONG! FARHANA, PERGI MANDI!
Me: Dang... Is there soap?
Dad: Ada.
Me: *Mutely walks down stairs*


The "bilik air bawah" is ... a toilet. The squatting kind. With a shower head. On the wall. Peculiar, but not uncommon. I know, I'm contradicting myself, but what the heck. I just don't like the "bathroom". But I bathed nonetheless. It took... 1 minute? Yes, when I'm not in the mood, I can bathe pretty fast.

And so, we left the house as soon as we could, and ate breakfast at a Mamak stall.

Apparently, my sister, Jaz, was having a minor but very physical spat with my brother. She ended up accidentally tearing off his skin with her nails, because she was pinching him a little too hard and he had wrenched his hand away. Hence, the torn skin.

And I just realised I forgot to pack my toothbrush. I packed my sunblock, but not my toothbrush. Pathetic.

Dad: Just borrow from someone.


Ew. One word. Ew.

At first I was reluctant. But since I saw he was pretty darned stressed because he worries we'll be late and stuff, I agreed, and said ok. Then I said, "I'll ask Ames to buy me a toothbrush then!" It was like a brilliant plan. They were nearer to Perak since they were at Penang, so they'd disembark later. I still had a chance.

Ma: Don't ask Amyra. You'll be troubling Aunt Siti.

Shite shite shite. Things really weren't going my way. And I haven't even told them about the sore throat that was really plaguing me now. So, like my usual sensitive self, I ate quietly and wondered why.

Thank god, when we reached Aunt Normah's house, we had to wait for Uncle Len to put fuel in his CRV. So, I ran like the very devil was at my heels towards 7E. Got my toothbrush. Yay!

And got a packet of lozenges, just in case. Haha.

Thusly, we began our journey Pangkor-bound.

That's when the sore throat got worse. I didn't tell Ma, because I know, when I get sick, and tell my parents, they'll start harping on about what I did. And parents, I know you mean to stop your kids from doing the very things that made them feel bad in the first place, but you saying "I-told-you-so" is just rubbing more salt onto the wound. It doesn't soothe them to know that they were stupid, you know. Anyways, I got a crick in the neck sleeping in the car. Haha.

Then, when we reached Lumut, we stopped at a Yacht Club. Typical of Uncle Len. He's into shipping. Very successful.

And so, us women who didn't need to go to Friday prayers were dumped at the Club while the men went about their business. Me and Kak Dee ordered tea. We thought it would be served... like at normal stalls, you know. But we got the whole tea set.

Impressive.

In the end, me and Dee ended up playing with the milk. Yes, pretty interesting things happen when you're bored.

Hung out with Imran, one of Aunt Normah's many sons. He's 13. And he's cute. Adorable. Very nice to tease. Haha.

Went to the restroom. Plotted with Dee to reverse the signs to the Men's and Ladies'. Haha. XD

*

Met up with the rest of the flock at a restaurant. Was starting to feel really sore, and tired, and in pain and you know... ;p But I put up with it. And tried to swallow down food as bravely as I could. I should get a medal for that. Checked out my tonsils at the mirror. Yup, red and swollen more than it usually is. Inflamed, mmhmm.

I'm so toast.

Ames' group went on first. They already had lunch, so, they went on the ferry first.

After forcing down lunch, we had to lug our bags towards the jeti. At the "jeti" (what's it in English again?), Dee, Imran, my bro, my sis and I sat together, waiting for our turn to get on the ferry. While waiting, my brother made cracks at illegal immigrant jokes.

Bro: *stands in front of Dee, pretends to write something on paper* Kamu tu Endon, kan?
Dee: Eh, tak lah, Encik. Mana ada!
Bro: Ah, jangan banyak cakap! Saya letak belakang bot, kang!
Dee: *Laugh*
Bro: *writes furiously on paper* Belakang... bot... Hah, tu! Belakang bot! Biar padan muka kamu!


Bro: *Stand in front of me* Kamu orang Gujerat kan?
Me: *stares drolly, lifting an eyebrow*
Bro: Gujerat duduk bawah kapal.
Me: Banyak pandai.
Bro: Eh, jangan banyak cakap! Apa pendatang asing banyak cakap ni?!

Yes. That's my brother. He does go far to entertain us.

We were laughing our guts out. And he seemed to have the misconception that I'm a cat, since he likes to stroke my chin while meowing. What the hell.

He's the same age as Tarrant, but at least he doesn't act as old as Tarr. *smirk*

Lol, you poor old man.

Anyways, so we got on the ferry. And I wasn't sea-sick at all. Probably because I was sleeping throughout the whole journey. XD. Tired la. And the place was rather comfy.

When we reached, once again, we lugged our bags towards and got two vans to cart us off to the resort.

It was... a ROLLERCOASTER RIDE!

We went uphill... and downhill! And uphill... and DOWNHILL!

Yes, and there were many sharp turns, as well. Enough to keep a sick girl distracted.

Me and Dee were enjoying ourselves. But when we got off the van, the first thing I wanted, was water. The second thing, I only realised once we got into our desginated room, the Big Girls' Room, was I wanted the bed by the wall. Yes, that bed was heaven. And I sank into it. And just as quickly, I sank into a fever.

While everyone was outside discovering the island, and the beach, I was on my bed, sleeping, trying to fight the fever.

I was in a sad state. I felt pitiful as hell. Because my two closest cousins, Ames and Fatin, were already talking up a storm. And since I was sick, I was pretty left out.

Now, that sank me into deep depression. So I texted Marc.

No reply.

Thought of texting Tarrant. Then realised he's at work.

Thought of texting Hariz. Then I thought I might not get a reply.

Texted Afzy, just to inform her that I was sick. Didn't really expect a reply, anyways.

Then, texted Aja. Thank God she replied. I was starting to feel really emotional. Sickness makes me preeeety vulnerable. She made me laugh and I felt okay, for a while.

But when Aja did reply, I started feeling tired all over again, so I said so, and slept.

I woke up to my cousins chattering. Haha, made me more depressed when I realised I missed out on a lot.

We had to walk to dinner. I felt so sick, and a tiny bit nauseous, that I really didn't want to leave the room.

Me: *calls Ma's number*
Dad: Yes? Farhana?
Me: Mmm... Dad? Are we going out for dinner?
Dad: Dinner? Yes. Why?
Me: Must I come too?
Dad: ... Why? Are you sick?
Me: (...he doesn't even know?)... Yeah, I feel... sick.


That's when I heard the not-so-distinct sound of him groaning at my statement. I felt really hurt. It was mixed emotions just then: I felt guilty for having to trouble people this way; and I felt hurt that my dad was taking my sickness like it was something annoying. It could be that he wasn't groaning, but I don't know. My pain-induced brain was saying it was him, but I just don't know.

Me: Tak pe la, I'll go.
Dad: *brightens up* You'll go?
Me: Mmmhmm.

I was fighting emotional tears then. Was shedding a pretty lot of them at the time. But, with the fever, and my new jacket, I braved my way downstairs.

I got a perverse sense of pleasure when Ma checked my temperature she told my dad that I had a fever. In an act of childish rebellion, I walked ahead of them, looking sullen. I guess being sick reverts you.

My cousin Et, was taunting me, because I didn't greet him. "Farhana sombong!" he said in a mock-whisper.

I stared at him, then turned my back to him. I could hear distinctly Imran defending me, "Farhana demam, ah!" But I couldn't care less.

I tried to force down food for dinner. Kak Zu (she's a nurse, I think) was mothering me. Sheesh. "Minum barli... makan ubat tak? pesan la *this*, pesan la *that*"

I was like... =_='' Ha?

I acted like a spoiled brat at dinner. Goodness, I cringe in remembrance.

But when I heard Uncle Len say "Makan banyak-banyak! Lepas ni pudding and ice-cream", my control snapped.

I was sick and they were having pudding and ICE CREAM?!

I got up, and walked over to Ma. "Can I go back now?" I whispered in her ear.

She was reluctant. And made me promise to call her as soon as I got into my room.

I got a bit lost, but found my way.

I was alone in my room. And I sank once again in depression. Then, my two oh-so-suddenly very close cousins got in. And starting going "Omg, that was scary! There was a guy who tried to talk to us. He was riding a bike and he had long hair..."

Yes, and I was walking alone, but I wasn't accosted at all.

Haha. That was how my brain worked then.

I slept at 9.30, I think.

I remember waiting for your text. Just one, to show that you cared enough to send me something random, to find out how I was doing. But that was too much for you to achieve, huh? Pity.

Then, I woke up at 12. And lay in bed, thinking.

That night, I thought long and hard. About me, myself, my feelings, my behaviour, my non-existant guy-girl relationship. haha. And believe me, I got quite the slugging in my head. It felt like I was mugged in my own mind.

It felt... like I've been deprived of my rose-tinted glasses and my black-and-white views of the world. Nothing felt, seemed or looked romantic anymore. I was changed in that one night.

Funny how sickness can make you find clarity within yourself.


To be continued...
(Mostly because I'm too tired to go on.Haha)


p.s: If you people hate my emo-ness here, so what? I'm just relaying what happened during the holiday. It gets better by the next time, I promise you.


Side 7: Shine Nail.

0 comments: