June 5, 2009

Gaelic

As dictated by Faranza Syns

I wonder when I began loving Gaelic. Or maybe Gaeilge (Irish Gaelic). I love Gàidhlig, too (Scottish Gaelic).

I suppose it was when I read of Brodick Buchanan the Ransom by Julie Garwood. The book was... not really my first sign of a nose-dive towards the caverns of lax morality. I think it was For The Roses that started it, but let's not point fingers. I turned out fine, didn't I? Let's just nod and leave it at that.

But yes, I believe it began with me falling for ye olde' brute Brodick. And then, I suppose I did have a twinge of a crush for Ramsey. And then Iain. And then Connor, and then... umm... to list them all out, I need a whole list of Julie's books.

Now, this foolish bout of endless crush(ing) only served to make me really yearn for a Scottish lover correspondent. I fell for its Irish counterpart however, by listening to the The Corrs. Yada-yada, I know, you're sick of listening to me harp on about the Corrs. But they are bloody awesome. I used to get really affronted when people go ga-ga over their latest single when really, they don't even know what the band's name was. Really annoying. But moving on, the unique sound of the group had me falling for them. And I blame this on my father. Who bought every single album of theirs. Including DVDs on their concert at Royal Albert Hall and
an Acoustic. (And let's also blame the fact that Caroline Georgina Corr was born on same date as I. I fell for her before I found out, so it practically felt like kismet.)

And so, I fell in love with both Scots (and their supposed brutish and ale-loving ways) and Irish (with their love-lorn songs.)

But when did I finally fall in love with Gaelic? Could it be the countless mention of the characters in Julie's books speaking with a brogue that was oh-so-sexy? Or was it just the idea of speaking a language people very, very rarely speak these days?

Latter, latter! I vote for the latter!

Yet, after listening to Andrea Corr singing Brid Og Ni Mhaille, I think that was like a kick to the groin (less painful for a girl, but a kick in the groin, nonetheless). I fell irrevocably in love. I admit one of the reasons that I want to learn Gaelic is because it sounds somewhat melodic. For me.

But also, I want to learn it because no one else will understand.

Grool.


Is tuirseach 's brónach
A chaithimse an Domhnach
Mo hata l' mo dhorn
'S mé ag osnaíl go trom
'S mé ag amharc ar na bóithre
'Mbíonn mo ghrá-sa ag gabhail ann
'S í ag fear eile pósta
Is fan í bheith liom
'S í ag fear eile pósta
Is fan í bheith liom


And left me forlorn.

Geez, if I were lesbian, I'd get a better feel of that.

And on a sidenote... I think I have to stop kissing everyone everytime they go offline.

Ah well, my idio.


My head bowed in sorrow
My sight heavy with woe.

0 comments: