July 29, 2009

A Different Kind of Feeling.

As dictated by Faranza Syns

Debate training was awkward. It was by far the most awkward training I've ever conducted.



Me: Does anyone have any questions?

Everyone: ... [deadpan look]

Me: Really, if you have any questions, ask them now. I don't want to repeat myself.

Everyone: ... [continuation of deadpan look.]



After explaining about the role of the speakers:

Me: Really, any questions?

Everyone: ....

Me: ...

Jansen: ... What's rebut?

Me: ...

Amanda: It's a counter-argument of sorts.




And here I thought he was a smartass.

But eventually, we divided them into two groups that were rather... lopsided. Because Amanda's team had more geniuses in them (think Jansen - Ian's brother, Janice of form 3, Kiran of form 2, and Kayla of form 1). I on the other hand, had Karisma, the only form 2, with 3 form 1 students.


Me: You do realise that you have more seniors in your team?

Amanda: [smug look] Not my problem.




As Kessler likes to say, "Life is like a wheel." (Apparently he doesn't believe in karma, but believes in wheels instead) And so, I sat with my team, and discussed the topic at hand. Arishah is aggravatingly adorable, Karisma is open and smart, and the other two girls contributed to the arguments we were building (shouting over each other, more like).

When we were nearly done...

Amanda: [resigned look] Can we combine teams now?

Me: Why?

Amanda: Smart people are no fun.

Me: Hnn?

Amanda: They're smart, but they're so... quiet.



Yes, I love my group very much. That, and I love wheels.

Jansen (Amanda's team) came up with a new argument. It seemed impenetrable at first. But when I managed to make it seem shaky... he doesn't seem that intimidating, really.

It started off quite awkwardly, but when there was only me, Amanda, Kiran, Karisma and Janice left, it was rather fun. Janice is adorable. Kiran seems a little shy, but she'll get over it. Karisma has the makings of a good speaker, and me... well, I'm just fly.

And full of myself apparently.

The five of us started off with discussing about the topic, and then it suddenly veered off to lesbianisme, me and my date-less prom, and basically all and sundry.

We laughed real hard, and shouted real loud, mind.

It's a different kind of feeling, now that we're leaving soon. Because I know I'll never look to my right ever again and say, "On my right, I have my second speaker, Sheng Rei, who will rebut the opposition, and present forth two of his main points." I'll never grin at Dharr and say "Further on my right, I have Dharrnesha, the third speaker who will rebut the opposition, and reaffirm the government's case."

I'll never grin at Dharr and make faces when we find loopholes in the opposition's arguments. I won't be able to prod Sheng about a rebuttal and hug his arm when I get nervous.

And really, what I'm trying to say is, I'll miss "us".

Suppose we'll still have that trophy to remind us of all this.



_______________________________



Karisma: Maybe you can go to prom with Faisal.

Me: NO!



Definitely not ever after that crack he made about me being round.



You leave me enamoured;
Suppose you've realised,
But I'm making a fool of myself.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

still witty as ever ;p

Afzy said...

hey debate... awww hana
u'll always be MY best speaker.. =)
and dun worry when u feel like debating come to me and i'll debate WATEVA topic comes to ur mind.. ;)

faisal???!!
i thought ur going WITH ME?????!!!!!
hahaha

Faranza Syns said...

@ Nat: Gahaa. Thank you. Your posts remain beautifully vague, too, just the way I like it.

@ Afzy: Awwh, how much sweeter can you be? Yes, let's debate on the merits of ... you know what, debating with me is crazy. Maybe you shouldn't offer at all. xD