April 16, 2011

A Choice of Mentality

As dictated by Faranza Syns

Since my new glasses have thick sides, I occasionally see "things" from the corner of my eye - HAH! Actually, they're caused by the fact that the sides of my glasses are shiny and reflects light, and hence, I see "visions".

Well, that's not really the off-putting point about thick sides - it's the fact that it's hard for me to glance at different sides of the road without turning my head fully (which I, as an inexperienced driver hate to do because I HAVE to look at everything in a glance and I HAVE to speed off at the junction - "What if I GO TOO SLOW AND A CAR BANGS INTO ME FROM MY LEFT?!" etc., etc.) which annoys me.

My dad used to say "...Won't the thick sides obstruct your vision?"

I was - at that time - cleverly successful at avoiding having to drive, hence I answered sweetly, "Nope."

"Oh, okay," said he, giving in.

Meh, I should have listened. When will we children get it inside our thick heads that our parents really HAVE lived longer than us (and naturally know certain things better)?

It takes a while, I suppose. This time, I won't blame it on hormones, and the oft-used reason which is the "We are Teenagers, of course we're like this." Blaming things like that, to me, is like you're saying you accept how horrid you are, simply because you were made to be that way. People sometimes say it like it's a reason that justifies horrible manners and temperamental bickering - like it gives you the okay to act however you feel like. "I'm a teenager. That's what teenagers do."

No, I don't think so. That's what you did. Not "a teenager", but you.

Aaaand, of course, it goes with (OMG, I didn't really want to say this but) PMS. We bite people's head off when we get PMS, and then justify it by thinking "He really had it coming. Doesn't he know he shouldn't mess with people who are PMS-ing?"

We let slip an angry outburst, and once the fire has faded, we pause and think "Well, I was PMS-ing. She should understand."

The truth is, deep inside, people don't. They most probably say "Ah, I see. So, it's that reason." But then, don't you think deep inside their heads, they'd think, "But still...she could've held it in a bit better."...?

"She could've tried."

Trying. Working. That's what we need to do. Blaming your circumstance pretty much leaves you in sinking quicksand - you have nothing solid to grasp on. Just an imagined problem that really can't be fixed.

I believe you're not stuck in this role God put you in. You can work your way out of it. Try your best.

Humans are malleable. We CAN be better. We just choose not to be.

It's our choice of mentality.



~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Off to bed, and off to my MUET test. Salam and God Bless.

0 comments: