February 5, 2011

Asterisk-ed!

As dictated by Faranza Syns



It's finally out! (it was out a few days ago, but only now could I muster the tenacity and grit to post it up in my blog)


Tada!




In black and white, of course. I was so tempted to do it in multi-colour, print one, and keep the multi-coloured to myself, but GAH. That aside, I think I did a pretty okay job at designing. 1st time doing so, and on Paint.net no less. I deserve a pat on the back, I think.

*pats self*

Ahem.

Now, moving on.

The whole newsletter was designed by me. Used a lot of basic brush work, but the tacked notes needed more work, and the metal balls at the back were something I learned from a tutorial. Overall, I finished the designs within 48 hours (of hell) - thanks to a very rushed schedule and people who forgot what what they needed to do and pretended like nothing happened a very hectic academic week. When Ata' (the leader of the team) suggested we make another issue, I nearly wanted to grab a stapler and smack him across the forehead (realistically difficult, but not so when you're pretty much teeming with rage), but then I held it in, and told him "Well, if you want to do a new piece, I need to get the articles on time." I seriously do NOT want to suffer another 48 hours of mental hell, and 720 hours of self-pity. That ship has sunk and I would be damned before I want to unearth the carcass.

But that aside, I'm pretty proud of the articles in the newsletter. At first. But me and Ata' had a word with Sir Alizaman D. Gamon, and somehow, after that, I felt that I needed to do better. Being in Alizaman's class is like being under fire and under siege. If you don't have a critical brain, you might as well shoot your own foot just so an ambulance would come and rescue you from the class (I sound like I'm exaggerating, I know, but some of us are that scared of him). He had taken a look at the newsletter (Asterisks) and asked who the editor was. Me. Then he nodded in approval and started talking of when he had been a part of a newsletter too, when he was in University. They were an active movement, of sorts, that they once even wrote a letter to the president of the university. I was in awe. That was when I took a step back and really analyzed our Asterisks.

Considering that I want to be in the publishing/editing business one day, I think this has been a really good experience, despite the many evenings I had spent with Madam Azimah, trying to work things out. I guess self-reflection is good, but being proud of what you've accomplished is just as important, after all.

It's easier to tear down than to build up.


__________________________________________







Asterisks*, 1st Issue

PDF version: Download!
(right click, Save Link As...)


Please do not claim any part of the articles as your own. If you are going to refer to it in any of your blog posts or your writings, please credit the authors (even if the name of the author is Mr. Social Syndrome). These articles and designs are all the work of students and staff of CFS IIU, Nilai, insyaallah.

1 comments:

re-commenting, gah~! moron connection~!

I <3 Mr. Shafiq Syndrome~!
Gahahahaha~!!!

Aww, you need a pat on the back???
As your dearest molester...
*smack your back, hard~*