January 2, 2009

Remain Resolute

As dictated by Faranza Syns

I never knew I missed school this much. I'm not sure whether I'm happy, or darned depressed that I'm actually missing school.

But if one must narrow it down, I actually miss my friends. And not the prospect of studying. Thank god. I was starting to think I was unlike any other normal, emotionally hormonal (hormonally emotional?) teenager.

The longing feeling like I'm about to cry burst with boredom eased a little when I went to school today. The first formers of 2009 were having their orientation this morning. I was supposed to be at school by 7.30. And I was supposed to pick Mei Yin up. So, that should need about... say... 20 minutes to prepare, and an additional 10 minutes to pick Mei Yin up, just in case some sort of catastrophe decided to befall us. It wouldn't be the first, that's for sure.

And so, me being me, I slept late. Around 3 a.m. I think. Yes, I live to be dangerous.

And again, me being me, I woke up at 7.10 a.m.

That blew my plan all to hell. 20 minutes to prepare? I barely had ten, if I wanted to be on time, rush to pick Mei Yin up and munch gobble down breakfast at the same time.

This is what woke me up:

"You're gonna miss your precious 7.30"

I woke up with a jolt, my eyes going directly towards the clock.

I don't know why I heard that voice in my head. I thought it was my mom. But no way. She couldn't be that sarcastic even if House hammered that piece of a personality into her head day and night for a thousand--make that a hundred thousand-- hours.

Still rather rattled and bemused, I frowned as I took in the time. There was once upon a time (that I really do not want to remember at all) when I woke up at 5.40, but thought it was 6.40, so I ran around, rushing to get ready, practically crying that I am late for rollcall and probably for school too, that I'd be slaughtered upon sight by Zi Kang and Jasmine, and that I'd be given not only one, but two "pink slips". Oh, the horror. Once I got out of the bathroom and actually paused to take a look at the little black clock, my jaw dropped.

All that agony, and for nothing.

And this time round, when I checked the time, I was very, very thorough. Which just made me jump off the bed and into the bathroom in a flash. Ever heard of a person saying they'll take only a minute in the shower? I really did take only one obligatory minute in the shower. My fear of being... murdered by Nurul can get me far, I tell you.

Dripping wet -- and not entirely happy that I couldn't shampoo my hair -- I got into my room, and quickly snatched at my clothes from the drawer. Then I realised... where the heck were my panties unmentionables?!

And thusly, I ran down, and got the folded laundry up, cursing the whole way.

It was already 7.20.

And my clock was 4 minutes late.

I was so... screwed.

When I finally got down (amidst trying to maintain a grip on my bag, bottle, scarf, head-scarf, tie, extra-nametag, handphone, mp3-player and blazer) and began preparing properly. On with the tudung, tie. In goes the bottle (into my bag) and in goes the extra-nametag (into my pocket, left untouch the whole day).

Mom forced me to eat, so I ate, six measly pieces of cheese crackers. Teeny-tiny ones, if you're interested to know.

Then, ran towards the car, in my new, tight, pinching, new shoes. Did I mention it's new? And darned uncomfortable?

Anyways, we picked Mei Yin up (ignored the ringing phone as we got out. We were already outside of the house, and I was darned late).

When we reached school, I saw Xin Huei first. I was so excited, and so was Mei Yin, and we nearly shouted out to my mom to stop the car so that we could hop out and maul hug her.

I got to hug her first, by the way. Too bad, Mei. She is my daughter, after all.

When we got down to the Multipurpose Room-- well, as we approached it, I heard my name being called.

And just the fact that the other prefects, my friends called out my name with such pleasure made me smile.

It didn't occur to me until right that moment that I missed them so much.

And so, the reunion began. And before school opened too, darn it.

Went in, hugged Mel, since she seemed rather excited. Then, turned and hugged Nurul. I think. There was too much excitement pulsing from everyone that I don't remember who I hugged and who I didn't. Goodness. But I remembered hugging Dharr.

She had held up my book that she had abducted from me before the hols, and said, "If you don't hug me, you don't get the book."

And beggars can't be choosers, I suppose. And I missed her anyways.

So hugs, it is.

I turned around, then saw Laine.

She was very happy to see me. I don't know why, but that kind of unadulterated joy can be rather infectious. And so, I grabbed her into a fierce hug.

Nurul then dragged me aside.

And then I saw...

Daniel's hair.

It was wavy.

Unlike his usual straight-as-a-pin hair.

His excuse: "I just woke up."

A rather lame excuse. And he knows it. I even touched his hair to confirm my theory that he was wearing a styling gel. And he still looked innocent when I pointed it out to him.

Okay peeps, imagine this: Nanba Minami. Domyouji. More of Domyouji, I think.

Get the drift? Daniel's hair was like that. Or maybe he looked like them. Darn it, I forgot to snap a picture of it. I suppose he assumes he looks more suave. Or maybe he imagines Romeo looking like that. And darn it, wny does he have to look so photogenic? I would imagine Romeo looking like him anyday. But the trouble is, Daniel's annoying. And despite Romeo and his incessant spouting of poetry, he isn't that annoying.

After considerable amount of yakking, we all found out our duties, and went on to it. Me and Mei were up for usher duty.


On my way towards the gate, Kimmy hailed me (har. Hailed. it sounds like she hailed a taxi).

Kimmy: I'm here!
Me: *smile*
Kimmy: So, basically I just have to--
Me: Just take down notes as to what's happening and stuff. *smile*
Kimmy: Then I'll just mingle with them. What the heck, I'll blend right in.


Yes, Kimmy. You look that small short youthful young.


* * *

Usher duty was a long and aggravating duty. For one, you have to smile. Non-stop. And my shoes were pinching me something fierce. Me and Mei talked when there weren't anyone around. Xin Yi came late. Aly came later. And when she was done with talking to Nurul about duties, she came and joined me and Mei at the gates.

Despite our sunny smiles (pffft), it drizzled. Very cooling, but you can't really feel it when you're wearing a thick blazer. It felt like a furnace.

It was fun ushering people with Aly. And Mei. The subjects we came up with were pretty mundane, but we laughed our arses off talking about it.

Amongst the things discussed:

  1. College
  2. The rain
  3. What we should do? (smile? say good morning?)
  4. Should we open the gate? (the smaller one, so that people won't have to use the big one)
  5. Cik Rahayu and Pn. Norsham (please, please, please let us get them as our BM teacher.
  6. Psychology/ Medicine/ UTP/ JPA
  7. National Service (where supposedly second children usually do not have to go to. Yay me?)
  8. Fashion
  9. Make-up (Aly: it's like a trend to wear thick, thick make up, and dark, dark eyeliners)
  10. Syaira's embarrassing outift at prom (shh, don't tell anyone. *wink*)
  11. Aly's confiscated handphone.



It was fun, and entertaining.


Ah well. The highlight of it all for Mei Yin would be when we walked to 7-E and bought a Slurpee.

My highlight of the day would be when I finally got to hug something other than my pillow.

Suddenly, I can't wait for the first day of school.

Aja: It's be the last first day of school.


Darn it. I just wish time would slow down a bit so that we could all savour it before it fades away.

Oh, I just saw a picture of Dan in Laine's blog. The perfect thing to wrap it all up.




How so-not-cute, Daniel.

I miss the laughter.
So laugh for me,
because I've lost the touch.

0 comments: